Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Armadillos and other Texas stuff


Hello ya'll! This is one of the phrases I came back with from the great state of Texas. It was not my first visit there, but it has been awhile. I attended a Chemistry Teachers conference held every two years called Chem Ed. This year it was held in Denton at UNT. I was a little worried about going to Texas at the end of July, but the weather was unseasonable cool - upper eighties and partly cloudy. Trust me this is hot to a northerner like me!

Our theme for the demonstrations at the conference was that everything had to be BIG - afterall, we were in Texas. So I learned with a little creativity how to make some of my favorite chemical demonstrations Texas size. It really was tons of fun. We had a speaker share his research on Texas BBQ vs. North Carolina BBQ. I truly did not know that there was a difference - but one is a vinegar/acid base (NC) and the other is sugar/molasses base (TX). We also got a chance to sample the BBQ at our last nights festivities where I got to race an armadillo! It was pretty funny and I didn't even need anything to drink. My armadillo lost, but the picture to bring home was so worth it!

I also spent a morning on a tour of the Texas Motor Speedway outside of Dallas/Fort Worth. This was my first experience seeing a NASCAR track up close. They were working on the track - so we did not get to do a pace lap. I was amazed at the size - tv just does not do it justice. We could get a 64 seat suite for $100,000 a year - anyone interested? Just kidding!


I also got the chance to see one of my best friends from high school - sort or our own mini 20 year reunion. It was really totally coincidence, but what a great thing. We had a chance to catch up on the news of each others families. So, I give a great big shout out to MJKR! It was great fun!

Blessings to all and thanks for reading!

No comments: