These passages that Lisa at the Preacher’s Wife picked, Exodus 33 and John 14, are packed full of meaning. Thank you Lisa for sorting through it all to bring us meaning as a group of bloggers.
It is interesting to me how well they connect to the first sesson of this conference my husband and I are attending. To me it reads as “vision casting”. God/Jesus are both creating ownership in Moses/the disciples – to follow and believe even unto death. God knows his people – He knows that they need to be reminded of the promised land and to be led by God Himself. Moses is the first owner in all of this.
Now onto the questions
1. We discussed how we are God's fame and He is ours. Have you ever been in a situation where you are applauded for your ministry and had to fight back the idol of pride? Ever been tempted to believe your own press? It's okay to admit it! Your testimony will help others in their resolve!
I sometimes think of my classroom as my “ministry”. There are 3 chemistry teachers in our building. We all work together to write curriculum, but we have different styles of teaching the same topics. Some students will like one teacher more than another. I tend to be more stand offish and not real personable – rules are rules type of teacher. I am getting better at listening and compromising without losing the rigor and learning that the students need.
I do struggle sometimes with not being a very “popular” teacher because I have set rules and deadlines. I did have a year that I was “popular” and it did go to my head. I thought, “Wow, look at the connections I am making! What a great teacher I am!”. God pulled me back and reminded me that it isn’t about being “popular”, but being a light for Christ in the public school. I really had to step back and refocus on why I was in the school – and it wasn’t to relive my high school years.
2. Did it ever occur to you in the 3-way drama of God, Job, and Satan that Satan was the only one outside the loop as far as Job's reactions would be? Does this encourage you in resolving to make a fool of him when he attempts to use you to defame the Name?
I guess that I always thought that Job had a choice – which he did, but God knew Job’s character, just like He knows mine. God knows my very being as well. If God is for me, who can stand against me. That is quite a thought and maybe one that kept Job going.
3. Are you in a situation now where you feel you are being overcome? Better yet, are you in a situation where you should have been overcome but are not?
For once, I must say that I am not in that place.
4. Have you failed in a Satan-designed trial? Can you recognize God intends for this failure to refine and resolve you for next time? God is not out for your destruction but your perfection!
Who is to say that I am important enough in the kingdom for Satan to pay much attention to me personally? Yet, I believe that I have fallen for the oldest lies from the beginning of time – that sex outside of marriage will fill the void that only God can fill. I have struggled with this since the hormones kicked in in high school. Even after I found Christ, I fell to this temptation. God has continued to refine me – even though I will never be perfect. I am learning to enjoy sex within marriage and to refuse anything else. God is so faithful!
5. Can you describe yourself as a Wonders Junkie? Found yourself in spiritual highs and lows depending on whether you perceived God was doing wondrous things or not?
I have tried my best to see the little “wonders” in life to hold all the power that “big” wonders hold. Sometimes it is the sunset, sometimes it is knowing that I wasn’t on a bridge when it collapsed. Now that I try to spend regular times with God, my highs and lows are not so pronounced and I am able to be thankful and aware of so much more.
6. Have you ever been like Philip and had God right in your face and not recognized Him?
Probably, but I can’t think of a time at the moment.
7. Journal a brief prayer asking God for His Glory. Let it be the thing we all desire above all else.....
Lord Jesus, thank you so much for teaching me about who you are – even the little glimpses are amazing to me. You know my coming and my going, even how many hairs are on my head. Help me to desire you and always seek you first. The world is so “busy” – help me to choose the better thing – your face. Thank you Jesus for the women in this study and all that I am learning.
Blessing to all