Saturday, October 21, 2006

MEA Weekend

In Minnesota we get the third Thursday and Friday off for teacher meetings - fondly known as MEA Break. This falls at the perfect time, about 7 weeks into the year, to catch your breath and relax. As a teacher, I have not ever attended these meetings. They tend to not be the kind of training (read political) that I want or need.

Roger has used this long weekend the past couple of years to go bow hunting for deer in North Dakota with a friend of his. Last year was the first time out of three outings that he killed something. It was on the last morning of his trip. I was worried that the meat would be wasted, but the kids loved the summer sausage that we had processed. We have become venison lovers. So, his hopes were high - but no luck. They saw lots of deer, but nothing within bow range. He is trying to find some time in November to go for gun season. I do believe that the bug has bit him.

Meanwhile, I get to be home with the kids and entertain them. Besides, Charity still has swim practice and I actually don't mind being alone for a few days. I truly love my husband - we can just get on each others nerves and this break is good for us. Here is the scenerio - Roger and I have a totally different view of what it means to relax. I like to watch movies, read books, take the kids to McDonald's playland and maybe get some scrapbooking in if I am lucky. He can't quite sit still that long. He will "putter" - fix the lawnmower, wash the cars, etc. As you can see, I think all of those thigs are work. I also know that if he didn't do those things that they would never get done. He is the perfect match for my lazy disposition. So, when we have time off together, some of that time will include "work". But, over MEA break, I have the time to spend however I want - and the kids know that as well. So here is a synopsis of what we did over MEA.

Thursday: I still had my list of errands to accomplish, so the weekend had a few of those. We went to get Eli's tooth pulled that would not fall out on it's own - 15 minutes and $86 later it was out. I pulled out my scrapbooking and planned to just leave it out the next few days. I was hoping to find an hour here or there to work on it. We stayed up late after dinner to watch a movie and have dessert in the living room (not usually done with dad home).

Friday: I actually got up early to take the car in for an oil change, and brought back some donuts on the way home. I love to be the hero. Then it was time for haircuts and more scrapbooking. Eli's friends from next door came over to entertain him.

Saturday: I had to start picking up after the messy weekend since Roger would be home after dinner sometime. We had a late pancake breakfast and more just hanging out.

The weekend itself was not eventful - just how I like it. It was a perfect break for the normal craziness of our life. For example, Monday night - small group (more on this later), Tuesday, swim meet at home (I keep score), Wed - youth group, Thursday - another home meet, Friday - the car goes in for more service and Charity leaves for a youth group retreat. Some weeks I never know if we are coming or going.

Hope all is well with you!

God Bless

No comments: