Thursday, November 29, 2007

The curse has arrived..

...and I am not talking about that monthly gift that God has blessed women with! I am talking about the curse that all mothers pass down to their daughters at some time - the one that says "I hope that you have a daughter just like you someday!" It arrived in full force yesterday.

Let's just say that I was not an angel at the age of 14. I thought that I knew everything, was independent and did not take direction well. You might have described me as stubborn and headstrong. I also said some awful things to my mother. So, when my lovely daughter turned 14, I braced myself for the worst.

We had just gotten home from work/school. I was trying to empty the dishwasher, start dinner and help Eli with his homework - because I like to play super mom! Eli took a break from homework and proceeded to go bother his sister. I yelled for them to stop and get along (this rarely works but lets them know I am listening - hoping they can work it out). I was finally tired (just tired in general) of the squabbling and headed upstairs. I told them to both go to their rooms and just be quiet. I closed the boys door and the girl headed to the living room to watch tv - her mouth running the whole time about how unfair I was and it wasn't her fault, etc, etc. I shut the tv off and sent her to her room also. Under her breath I hear her call me a B-----. I just couldn't believe I had heard this from my daughter's mouth - even more surprised that it was directed at me. I just looked at her - astonished. She ran to her room and slammed the door. I said something about not calling anybody that and left her in her room.

I walked to the kitchen thinking, well, it could have been worse. I remember yelling that directly to my mother's face with a few other expletives added. Charity knew that it was wrong and looked so guilty for even saying it. She was angry, upset at my decision. I am praying for her as she grows and changes and we have conflict - it is only natural.

Thanks for reading

3 comments:

Liza's Eyeview said...

Oh I had a "similar episode" in our house about a week or two ago. I talked about it here:

http://lizas-eyeview.blogspot.com/2007/11/mommy-meltdown.html

yes, the curse has arrived on us!

(((((HUGS))))

Liza's Eyeview said...

oh I don't know how to get the link to work on comments. The title of the post was "Mommy Meltdown".

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

oh momma... soooo what cha gonna do to drive the guilt so deep she seeths with remorse...LOL

Yes... and then ya go into the I remember when....

You have become your mom.. urrrrrr

I love it

as from the Lion King.. the Circle of Life...