Thursday, November 29, 2007

The curse has arrived..

...and I am not talking about that monthly gift that God has blessed women with! I am talking about the curse that all mothers pass down to their daughters at some time - the one that says "I hope that you have a daughter just like you someday!" It arrived in full force yesterday.

Let's just say that I was not an angel at the age of 14. I thought that I knew everything, was independent and did not take direction well. You might have described me as stubborn and headstrong. I also said some awful things to my mother. So, when my lovely daughter turned 14, I braced myself for the worst.

We had just gotten home from work/school. I was trying to empty the dishwasher, start dinner and help Eli with his homework - because I like to play super mom! Eli took a break from homework and proceeded to go bother his sister. I yelled for them to stop and get along (this rarely works but lets them know I am listening - hoping they can work it out). I was finally tired (just tired in general) of the squabbling and headed upstairs. I told them to both go to their rooms and just be quiet. I closed the boys door and the girl headed to the living room to watch tv - her mouth running the whole time about how unfair I was and it wasn't her fault, etc, etc. I shut the tv off and sent her to her room also. Under her breath I hear her call me a B-----. I just couldn't believe I had heard this from my daughter's mouth - even more surprised that it was directed at me. I just looked at her - astonished. She ran to her room and slammed the door. I said something about not calling anybody that and left her in her room.

I walked to the kitchen thinking, well, it could have been worse. I remember yelling that directly to my mother's face with a few other expletives added. Charity knew that it was wrong and looked so guilty for even saying it. She was angry, upset at my decision. I am praying for her as she grows and changes and we have conflict - it is only natural.

Thanks for reading

3 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

Oh I had a "similar episode" in our house about a week or two ago. I talked about it here:

http://lizas-eyeview.blogspot.com/2007/11/mommy-meltdown.html

yes, the curse has arrived on us!

(((((HUGS))))

Liza on Maui said...

oh I don't know how to get the link to work on comments. The title of the post was "Mommy Meltdown".

Connie Barris said...

oh momma... soooo what cha gonna do to drive the guilt so deep she seeths with remorse...LOL

Yes... and then ya go into the I remember when....

You have become your mom.. urrrrrr

I love it

as from the Lion King.. the Circle of Life...