Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Funeral and the unexpected.

We attended Roger's grandmother's funeral on Friday. The weather was miserable with a winter weather advisory out. Nothing like a gray snowy day for a funeral.

Here is my thought on the weather:

Once grandma made it to heaven, she immediately asked for the person in charge of the weather. She would slam her fist down and demand to "stick" it to the relatives one more time!

She was just that way - demanding and bossy. Yet, she loved deeply. I always wondered if she ever liked me - I have kind of adopted Roger's family as my own. Apparently she did. We talked. I guess that she just didn't talk to people she didn't like.

After the funeral, we spent some time with the cousins - just reconnecting. Why does it take death to bring us together? Does it remind us of what is important and how short life really is? I hope that we can meet again under better circumstances.

Note of interest: The passage read at her mass was of Lazarus. Was this coincidence since I just read that part in the Mary and Martha book? I am spending some extra time examining this - maybe God is trying to direct me.

Lastly, because of grandma's death, we have been left some money. This was somewhat unexpected. She has been living in assisted care for about 5 years and didn't know how much was left. We actually didn't care - the money was hers to spend.

We are now praying about how to use this money to glorify God and not just buy "stuff". What can we do with the "talents" he has given us? Something to pray about.

Blessing to all!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

She sounds like she was quite the lady. We had a death in the family last year with an uncle. His death was expected and his son held about 4 or 5 get togethers with various friends and relatives so that he could be with everyone he held important. Of course we were at the one with relatives. It was nice to be together with our uncle without it being his funeral.