Monday, December 22, 2008

I don't want a new washing machine...

Okay, I apologize for the whiny voice that you hear in your head right now. It isn't that I am not going to be grateful and even thrilled with a new front loading washing machine with all the bells and whistles. I will need to take lessons on what all the settings mean and my clothes will not fade in color (or so the manual says).

Here is the thing - we were saving for a new 42 inch digital tv for Christmas (my husband and kids were rooting for the 46 inch). My husband and I agreed to not spend money on each other and get a new tv for each other for Christmas. I was so looking forward to watching my favorite movies on the widescreen...Alas, the 11 year old, used when we got it, washing machine literally ceased up. Luckily it was on the last load of the day and the neighbors graciouslly allowed us to use theirs.

Oh, we had an indication that it might die when it started to squel like a pig during the spin cycle a couple of weeks ago. But, it was still working and the the noise went away. How bad could it be? Why replace something that is still working? Okay, it could go at any minute, but why rush things? I was all ready to be irresponsible and go buy that tv that I have been drooling over at Wal-Mart. After all, the washing machine was still working...

God knows my thoughts (like the washing machine broke because of God? Weirder things have happened). So, it wasn't until the darn thing stopped moving - no movement anywhere - the agitator stopped spinning, the water would not drain and I was stuck with a washer full of wet towels!

It was at that moment that I knew, I was getting a washing machine for Christmas instead of a new tv. I am not thrilled, really, not at all.

So, if anyone wants to bring their laundry over, we are going to sit in front of the new washing machine, with a red bow one it, and watch our laundry go around. Don't forget the popcorn!

Blessings

1 comment:

Cheri said...

ummm- I was thinking today that I was REALLY excited about the garage door opener I got myself for Christmas.

We did get that flat screen TV a few months ago. It's a 32 inch - our biggest ever. I think the TV we used in Italy for two years was a 20 inch. We feel like we're in the big time now. Seriously.

And my front load washer? Oh, I'm in heaven. European washers don't fit a whole lot in them, and also heat their own hot water. Which results in taking over 2 hours for 1/2 an American load of laundry.

Remember your mission trip? Honey, Americans have it all. Cling fast to that knowledge - AND THE REMINDER FROM GOD.