Friday, March 28, 2008

Martha and Mary Book Study, Day 1

One of my goals over spring break is to finally read all of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha a World by Joanne Weaver. I am going to try and read a chapter a day. If I leave non-fiction for too long, I forget what I was reading about and have to start over. I have so many great books that would help me spiritually, but they are all half finished. So, I am going to give it a shot.

This is the introductory chapter that I have read at least twice if not more than that. I think the best thing for me to do is post the relevant verses and my favorite quote from the chapter and then just see what happens from there.

Chapter 1, The Tale of Two Sisters

Luke 10:38-42

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”


My favorite quote says this on page 9:

“Two completely different women undergo a transformation right before our eyes; a holy makeover. The bold one becomes meek, the mild one courageous. For it is impossible to be in the presence of Jesus and not be changed……The choice he offered to these two very different sisters – and the transformation they experienced – is exactly what he offers to each of us as well.”

It is exciting to think that Jesus is transforming us everyday. We are not the same as we were yesterday. Some days it is big chunks of clay that are being molded, but most days Jesus just whittles away at me. Removing my pride, teaching me to have more faith, learning to forgive for my sake, etc. The list is long and just when I think I have it figured out, my life gets busy like Martha and I start to whine.

Dear Jesus-Thank you for never giving up on me, meeting me where I am and transforming me daily.

Blessings

No comments: