Saturday, March 29, 2008

Martha and Mary Book Study, Day 2

Chapter 2: “Lord, Don’t You Care?”

Luke 10:40

Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.
She came to him and asked,
“Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?
Tell her to help me!”

Weaver describes what she calls the “Three Deadly Ds of Destruction”

*Distraction
*Discouragement
*Doubt

These are the tools that Satan uses in this world to keep us from our relationship with God. Martha was distracted which led to discouragement and then doubt.

Here are a couple of paragraphs that hit home for me from pg 25-26

“Doubting God’s love doesn’t require tragedy. It can creep into the everyday just as insidiously, just as dangerously. It happens when our will is crossed, when our needs are ignored, or when we, like Martha, are stuck doing the dirty work while everyone else is having fun.

Now, such doubt in itself is not a sin. It’s simply a thought or feeling that springs up almost involuntarily. But when we let it lodge in our heart long enough, wedged tightly like a poppy seed between our teeth, that little doubt can become a big problem. For doubt, left unchecked, can fester into unbelief. And unbelief, my friend, is not only sin – it’s deep trouble. When we no longer believe in God’s goodness, when we no longer trust in his care, we end up running away from the very Love we need to live. “

This whole chapter for me was remembering once again who is in control of my life. It ultimately isn’t me. God made me. I belong to Him. All I need to do is trust that what He is doing in and around me is because He cares about me. That can be a challenge when prayers seemingly go unanswered or not in the way I think they should be answered.

Weaver ends the chapter by saying this on page 28-29

“The fact is, until we stop doubting God’s goodness, we can’t experience God’s love.

Martha spoke her secret fear aloud, and we can too. But, like Martha, we must stick around long enough to hear the sweet reassurance of his answer.

Don’t expect any explanations or apologies. After all, God is God. If righteous Job couldn’t force God to give an account for his actions, then we shouldn’t expect to always understand his mysterious ways.

But rest assured, God will answer. He longs to reveal his love to you. But you won’t find it by shaking your fist in his face. You won’t find it by barging into his presence and demanding to be treated fairly. You’ll find it by sitting at his feet and remembering who he is. “

So, when I am distracted, discouraged and doubtful, the best thing for me to do is not what the world would have me do. What I need to do is sit and talk with my God. My God who has my ultimate good in mind. I need to hear his reply and learn from him.

Dear Jesus: Help me today to sit at your feet and learn what is “better” for me. Help me to stop doubting your plan so that I can experience your love. Amen.

Blessings

No comments: