Monday, March 03, 2008

God's Favorite Day

Our family had some time after church Saturday night to watch a movie together. We watched Tuck Everlasting. Charity had seen it before in school because they read the book together. The movie follows the story of the Tuck family that found a spring that causes them to live forever and never die or age. They are in hiding in a forest - it is dangerous to live forever and even a curse. One of the boys falls in love with a "mortal" and tries to convince her to drink of the fountain and then they could live forever together.

The father Tuck has a conversation with her so that her choice would be her own. He says something profound - at least it was to me. "To live and get older is a part of life. Death is just a part of living. To live a life without death is to never change - to be stuck forever they way you are." My son and I cried at the end when the girl chooses the life with death at the end. It is a bittersweet ending.

The interesting part of this occurred Sunday morning when I was making breakfast and Eli was helping me. We had a conversation that went something like this...

Eli: Mom, Do you know what day will be God's favorite day?

Mom: (I was still half asleep) No, what day is that?

Eli: The day that we die and get to meet Him for the first time.

My eight year old son gets it! He watched a fictional movie and made the connection that death is a part of living and maybe even the best part! He is not afraid to live and then die, because heaven is just around the bend and that will be God's favorite day. I just hugged him. From the mouths of babes.

Blessings today

1 comment:

Liza on Maui said...

Truly...out of the mouth of babes comes words of truth....

(just to let you know, I re-arranged my blogroll and now use Riezzee's Place as your blog name. I placed you with my working mom blogroll...)

I'm still trying to slow down on blogging... not much slowing down happening :) but a little bit at a time :)